We love a good statement finish! Today’s Tutorial is a simple one…we show you how to achieve this beautiful bespoke blue:
Here’s how we did it:
- Wipe down the piece of furniture you are painting.
- Mix the custom blue by pouring equal parts of Giverny Chalk Paint®* and Aubusson Blue Chalk Paint® into a mason jar and stirring well. (For this project we mixed 8 ounces although if you are not an experienced painter we recommend mixing 10-12 for something this size just in case.)
- Using an Annie Sloan Natural Bristle Brush (we used the Small) paint one coat of your custom blue paint (with the grain). Allow it to dry (approx 30 min.) Repeat until the paint is fully opaque. We have two solid coats on our buffet.
- Using the FINE Sanding Sponge, lightly sand opposite the brushstrokes to even out any ridges in your paint. Do not distress, just simply sand for a few seconds in a light manner to smooth your surface for a modern look. (This step is optional)
- Time to wax! Using an Annie Sloan Wax Brush, brush on your Clear Wax a small section at a time, and immediately wipe off the excess with Blue Shop Towels (they are lint free paper towels we love to remove our wax with.) You will see a slight sheen. If you want it shinier, wait a day then buff (rub) your surface with a soft cloth.
- Using Gold Gilding Wax, rub some shimmer on your hardware, wipe off excess and let it cure overnight.
If you try this look, tag us on Instagram so we can see how it turned out!
*Chalk Paint® is a non-toxic decorative paint that dries quickly and requires little to no prep (sanding or priming) so it’s the perfect option for home DIY projects! Annie Sloan knew what she was doing when she invented the recipe almost 30 years ago. 🙂 It is tried and true, the original decorative paint, and we have tested the finish in both residential and commercial spaces.
If you’d like to try Chalk Paint® , shop online here or better yet, come see us in our shop and get a free in person tutorial on how to use it! We are located at 182 Glenridge Ave in Montclair, NJ, just 12 miles west of Manhattan NYC. Visit our Facebook page here for shop updates. Follow us on Pinterest for more Before & After posts or on YouTube for video tutorials. To have us custom paint your furniture (for locals in North New jersey or New York City) please contact us at azie@verdigreenhome dot com with photos and dimensions for a quote.
Here’s another photo of the buffet we painted – lighting is a bit off here so the color is not precise…I am including this photo because it also highlights our painted floor which we love sharing with our customers. 🙂 See how we did it here! Our customer, Jess, also painted her floors…take a look at her entire transformation here (she painted both her cabinets and tile floors in her kitchen using Annie Sloan products!)